CAÑO NEGRO WILDLIFE SAFARI BOAT
The Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge is located near the border between Costa Rica and Nicaragua and is one of the most important wetlands of the country. It was declared of worldwide importance due to the quantity of migratory birds which frequent it and their protection of species in danger of extinction, receiving the category RAMSAR. Just outside of the Refuge lies the Rio Frio, or Cold River, which is the main water source for the refuge, breathing life into this magical area. Here you have a great possibility of observing animals and navigation ensuring all year long.
With a scheduled departure from La Fortuna at 7:30 am, we will drive through the San Carlos flat lands for 2 hours until we reach the small village of Los Chiles, observing a large variety of traditional crops like pineapple and sugar cane along the way, in addition to large cattle farms.
From here we will head to Rio Frio to boat the comfortable motorboat with ample visibility, covered in case of rain, and with lifejackets. The boat is driven by one of our experienced captains.
Together with our Naturalist Guide we will travel along the river for about 2 hours in search of monkeys, herons, sloths, caiman, turtles, and hundreds of other species of flora and fauna that inhabit the area around the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge.
Afterwards, we will stop for a delicious lunch at a local restaurant, before heading back to La Fortuna in our comfortable air-conditioned minivan with free WiFi
- Price per person (USD).
- This 2 requires a minimum of 2 adults.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- There is no minimum age requirement.
- Children under 3 are free.
- Child Price is applicable for 4-11 yrs.
- Bilingual Tour (Spanish and English)
- Transportation is included from most hotels, for hotels outside of La Fortuna or distant from the road to the Arenal Volcano, additional charges may apply. Please consult at time of reservation.
- Start times are approximate, your exact time will be included when your reservation is confirmed.
- During the months of February, March, and April many species of migratory birds visit the refuge. For bird-lovers this is a place you don’t want to miss. Ask about our Specialized Bird Watching Tour
What to bring: Comfortable clothing and shoes, hat, sunscreen, passport, camera, binoculars, insect repellent, money for snacks, tips, or souvenirs.
We include: Transportation from your hotel in comfortable minivans with air conditioning and Wi-Fi, boat transportation, Naturalist guide, bottled mineral water, lunch, snacks, and insurance policies.
Departure: 07:30 a.m.
Duration: 8 hours
Rates: Adults: $79 – Children $63